Sunday 22 September 2013

NO DECORUM

I love old people.  They are an inspiration and made of strong stuff.  They have suffered and
experienced so much in their lives, and have borne it all with such strength and humour.  Not like today's modern wimps, who keel over because their coffee is too hot and they have to work an eight hour day.

Anyway, I chat away to old people and love every minute of it.  One day, this old chap I know of 91 (as he was at the time) suggested we sat on a wooden bench nearby and have a chinwag.  I thought that was a good idea and willingly joined him for a nice parle in the sun. He told me all about his working life and his wife whom he adored.  They were together for 25 years and never had a cross word.  Then along came a dear old lady, she wanted to join in, so she sat on the seat of her walker and shared some history and giggles.

But the old boy seemed a bit restless.  I wondered why.  As soon as she left, he suggested we had a cup of tea in a local cafe.  I accepted and off we wobbled. I poured the tea and the comforting steam and chinking tea cup noises were most refreshing. We talked some more and this all seemed very civilised.  Most enjoyable.

Then, out of the blue, the old boy leaned forward and asked, "Do you still sleep with your husband?"

I was not impressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment